You need to be healthy, whether you're just trying to focus on reading theory or brawling at a protest. For this you should maintain various good habits and eat the right foods.
You don't have to drink eight 8-ounce glasses as per the common misconception, about a liter and a half will do for most people but of course depends on things like physical size and activity level. Drinking adequate amounts of water will aid in physical performance, significantly affect energy levels, mood, and other brain functions. It may also help prevent and treat headaches, constipation, kidney stones, hangovers, and even aids in weight loss.
Do this when you wake up and throughout the day, every now and then. This increases blood flow and wakes up the muscles, on top of improving flexibility and helping to avoid injury and stress. This is also good for the lower back and leads to fewer aches and pains overall. Stretching will also help to improve your posture.
Guided Wim Hof breathing method
There are certain breathing techniques that can lead to several benefits. One of these is the Wim Hof Method, used by Dutch extreme athlete Wim Hof to withstand freezing temperatures in his stunts. The process for this is:
- Sit or lie down and get comfortable so that you would be able to expand your lungs freely and without feeling any constriction.
- Close your eyes and try to clear your mind, then inhale deeply through the nose or mouth; from the belly, up to the chest, and exhale unforced through the mouth. Repeat this 30 to 40 times in short, powerful bursts. You may feel light-headedness and tingling sensations in your fingers and feet, which are side effects that are completely harmless.
- After the last exhalation, inhale one final time, as deeply as you can. Then let the air out and stop breathing. Hold until you feel the urge to breathe again.
- When you feel the urge to breathe again, draw one big breath to fill your lungs, so that you feel your belly and chest expanding. When you are at full capacity, hold the breath for around 15 seconds, and then let go. Repeat this 3-4 times without interval. After this, you should feel calm, and in this state you can meditate.
Benefits of the Wim Hof Method include stress reduction, faster recovery from physical exertion, better sleep, improved physical performance and creativity, and better focus and mental clarity.
Get proper sleep
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep every day, and quality sleep, on a regular schedule, matters. Proper sleep does all kinds of things: helping to ward off sickness, stay at a healthy weight, lower the risk for serious health problems like diabetes and heart disease, reduce stress and improve mood, and improve mental clarity. Sleep should be done at the same time of day, every day, so as to be consistent with one's circadian rhythm. Make sure you get busy during the day with productive things so that you will be tired out in time for sleep — exercise also helps to achieve this effect. The sleep environment should be comfortable as well — make sure your bedroom is dark and quiet, and that the temperature is cool. Also try to get a good, quality mattress — it's a major investment that pays off when you wake up every day; essentially determining your level of wakefulness to a large extent. You should also use software that adjusts the computer's display color temperature depending on the time of day, so that at night the screens automatically become darker and redder (the color blue stimulates wakefulness). Some applications that do this include Redshift and f.lux.
Go outside for at least 30 minutes
This way, you get adequate vitamin D from sunlight as well as exercise. This helps to improve your mood, and what you could even do is setup your computer in an outside area, using an extension cord to reach a power outlet or using a power bank to be able to remain outside for long.
Nooptropics are substances which increase cognitive abilities. You can find these online however some are readily available in some form at a local grocery store. Try using a small dose at first, and look to something else if you have an adverse reaction. In the vast majority of cases there won't be any, however, and it is definitely worth to try these.
Lion's mane mushroom
There is some research and plenty of testimony as to the benefits of lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus), which include relieving mild depression and anxiety, speeding up recovery from nervous system injuries, and improving memory.
Tumeric is a spice whose main active ingredient is curcumin, a compound that besides fighting inflammation and providing antioxidants also increases levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which is a growth hormone that promotes neurogenesis (the creation and development of neurons). This in effect fights depression and Alzheimer's disease, on top of improving memory, as well as delaying or even reversing many brain diseases. However, curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream, so make sure to consume black pepper along with it, as black pepper contains piperine, which enhances the absorption of curcumin by 2,000%. There are other benefits to tumeric, like lowering the risk of heart disease and preventing, and possibly even treating, cancer and arthritis.
L-theanine is an amino acid that's found naturally in green and black tea. On its own, it can promote relaxation while increasing mental focus and arousal. The combination of 2 parts L-theanine with 1 part caffeine further improves cognitive performance and alertness. You can also add theobromine, a compound found in dark chocolate, to the mix, which has a calming effect on its own as well.
Maca root is highly nutritious on its own, while providing other benefits such as anxiety and depression reduction as well as helping to gain muscle, increase strength, boost energy and improve physical performance, and in this improving physical endurance. It also improves learning and memory, among other things.
- 7 Science-Based Health Benefits of Drinking Enough Water
- Wake Up and Stretch: The Top Benefits of Stretching in the Morning
- Wim Hof Method breathing
- "Get Enough Sleep"
- 9 Health Benefits of Lion's Mane Mushroom (Plus Side Effects)
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom Benefits Memory and Cognition
- 10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin
- Stuck in a Brain Rut? These 8 Supplements Will Help You Concentrate
- The combination of L-theanine and caffeine improves cognitive performance and increases subjective alertness
- The relevance of theobromine for the beneficial effects of cocoa consumption
- Theobromine on Nootropedia